Sunday, October 3, 2021

Introduction: Country Hopping

The travel bug had well and truly taken a chunk out of me by 2017. But I was already growing weary of longer trips, wanting to keep the duration of my adventures to under a month. Travelling is fun and all, but home is where I can lie in bed and not feel guilty about wasting the day.

The big item on my bucket list was meeting my Finnish "sister". S and I had met on a Stargate fansite back in 2005. Those were fun times. I was still in school and had no responsibilities, no husband and no ability to zip to another hemisphere.

S and I have always been close. But what if we could be closer - geographically speaking?

So obviously Finland was our destination. But once you've gone to the trouble of flying 24 hours to Europe, you might as well stick around - it's so easy to country hop. I figured I'd hit three other countries after meeting S. There were places I wanted to see, drawn to them by their appearance in TV shows and books. It'd be great fun! A couple of days here, a couple of days there...

I was really going to wish I'd spent a whole month in the Northern Hemisphere.

Sydney CBD, as viewed from Taronga Zoo


No comments:

Post a Comment