Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Days 17 & 18 - Lyme Regis


Day Seventeen


The day began slowly. We stayed on the couch for a while, then managed to get ready after 10am and plod our way down to the Cobb, an artificial harbour constructed in the 19th century.


The Cobb has stone-built piers either side of an opening that warns boats to be “DEAD SLOW”. It has been repaired and improved since Jane Austen visited this place, but a lot of it she would have found familiar. Once we descended the steep hill and negotiated some traffic, we saw it for ourselves.


It was very windy this morning, so my hair went everywhere and The Husband pointed out the sign cautioning us not to go onto highest part of the Cobb (it sloped, could get quite slippery and had no railing between pier and undulating sea).



The Cobb at Lyme Regis gently bends around to the left. Bench seats line the wall.
Take a stroll into the Regency era


The view, though, was lovely so I had to get up there, however briefly – and briefly it was, as I do not like to worry The Husband (he is not a strong swimmer).


Clouds smeared the horizon, but it was still pleasant and I must have uttered the word “beautiful” at least 6 times.


Lyme Regis isn’t that different from any other English seaside town I’ve visited; however, it has its place in literary history. Much like Whitby in that respect, I suppose. Whitby was made famous by Bram Stoker; here it was Jane Austen.


I looked at some stairs on the pier and fancied that they were the ones that Louisa fell down in Persuasion. Unlikely, though, and “Granny’s Teeth” certainly didn’t qualify either – these steps had the appearance of rotted, jagged teeth worn to the gum – for they came after Jane Austen’s visit to Lyme (Regis). They were probably added because of her book.



Granny's Teeth - steps that look like staggered slabs sticking out of the wall. One could imagine them to be teeth.
Granny's Teeth


We walked along the beach (sand was divided from pebbles by a cement break) and then headed back up the hill towards our home, albeit on a different road than the one we’d used on our way down to the water earlier.


We passed by Pyne House, 10 Broad Street, where Jane Austen is said to have stayed. It was much smaller than I expected. But beside it was a similarly small shop boasting that it was “bigger on the inside”. That, and Pyne House’s blue door, made me exclaim, “It’s a TARDIS!”


Fancy that, Jane Austen in a TARDIS.


For lunch, we went to a pasty shop (there were three of them on the same stretch of road!). Good food – and a large hot chocolate – revived me.


In my clutches, from earlier browsing, I had fudge and gemstone jewellery. I can’t help it! They are my vices! And I like quaint shops in quaint towns. Plus, I needed that pendant to match two sets of earrings I own. And as for the earrings I bought – I do not have any that are blue goldstone! Well, I do now.


Back “home” to relax.


PS: Tesco is still closed! They looked to be dismantling the whole shop.



***



Day Eighteen


A day of relaxation. We did nothing until lunchtime, when we again sought sustenance in The Cornish Bakery. I love pasties! Oh how I will miss munching through one before attacking a frothy hot chocolate.


Most of the day has been spent watching Sailor Moon. Lol. I am really enjoying it.


A mug of tea, a small round cake and origami (swan and balloon) are arranged on a glass table.
Idle hands lead to relaxation


No comments:

Post a Comment