Saturday, October 9, 2021

Day 6 - Nokia

This morning we went to breakfast a little later, on account of the buffet’s different weekend opening times. I sampled Karelian pasties, which I’ve never seen before but it seems they are a staple in Finland. They seem to be small, rye-crust boats filled in with mushed rice. Quite filling, if a little bland. Alright, really bland. Some lingonberry jam (tastes kind of like cranberry) managed to salvage it.


After posting my Mother’s Day cards (the hotel has its own Posti box, how handy!), we drove to meet S at 9:03am and fortified ourselves with a pot of odd-tasting Earl Grey tea. S directed us to a nearby lake that was about 80% frozen over. I was astounded (and more than a little deceived) by how solid it looked, even close to the shore.


I was cold but fascinated, especially when S stood on the ice. She is 47kg to my 63kg, so I wasn’t going to risk hopping down beside her. But I did put my foot on the lake, promptly slipping and falling onto the tiny pontoon. At least I didn’t fall in! The Husband remarked that I’d fallen the best possible way.



A lake that has been frozen over, with someone's feet lying on the ice.
I'm walking on ... not sunshine!

The rocks near the shore were solid and very glacier scarred. Ice dotted the walkway back to where I had parked the car, wide enough for a vehicle. I think at this point S remarked that in Finnish there is no word for “please” – she was considered rude in Scotland when she kept forgetting to say it. Instead, “kiitos” (Finnish for “thank you”) is used more widely.


We left the car at S’s house and went for a leisurely walk on gravel paths that reminded me of the fire trails back home, except that the trees are quite different and wild blueberries grow everywhere later in the year.


S showed us shortcuts through the trees, sometimes up and over peculiarly straight and flat rocks. I imagined that they were the footpaths used by S’s ancestors. Can you imagine – because I did – standing there in the warming air, taking time to yourself centuries ago, simply enjoying the quiet, the promise of spring? I created this invisible spectre from the past and shared a peaceful moment with them.


We trekked over mud and bridge and returned to S’s house, happy and full of fresh air. I was only wearing my light jacket this time.


The three of us played the Dresden Files cooperative game (we have a copy at home and this was the first time S had used hers) for a bit, then sought lunch at the shops. We found a nice place that wasn’t too busy, starting with cheese soup and rye biscuits. Rye is A Thing here and S says that Finns get sad overseas when they can’t find it.


The food was great – the music was FANTASTIC. The speakers first gifted us with Adele, the entire 7-minute version of “Sweet Home Chicago” from The Blues Brothers film. The three of us, being fans, were very happy.


Back to S’s for several hours of the Dresden Files game. Outside, the weather kept changing. Every time I glanced out the window something new was to be found – snow, rain, snow, sun, rain, sun!!


Eventually, just before 5pm, The Husband and I went to the shops for dinner. Things went well until we sat down with our Subway items (30cm instead of footlongs, of course). My kaakao…I spilled it down my shirt, which was somewhat distressing for me. Luckily, we’re going to a laundromat tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment