Thursday, October 7, 2021

Day 4 - Hämeenlinna & Nokia

The day started for me at 4am (another early night, unfortunately) and I lay there, bored, hot and cold, until The Husband woke at 6am. I rang Mum who was keen to hear about yesterday. Then breakfast was sought (Nutella toast for me this time!) and I fetched S from the train station (she had taken the same 9:33am train).


With the band back together, we visited the car rental place and I prepared to drive on the WRONG side of the road! I nervously listened (well, half listened) to the staff member as he explained the features in our Lexus(!!), but soon enough it was time to venture out of Helsinki.


Sitting in the front left seat of the car, I veered too far to the right and nearly left my lane (didn’t quite failed that badly, though!). I felt that I should be lining myself up with the right side of the lane.


Things improved on the motorway when I could hit 120kmph. Gaining confidence, I managed to overtake without any drama or incident. I actually started to enjoy myself – until it came time to park at Häme Castle, known locally as Hämeen linna (not to confused with the town’s name, Hämeenlinna).


But I parked that Lexus, despite some uncertainty over where I should and even if I could. It is weird to look over my left shoulder when reversing.



A side-on view of Hämeen linna, including part off the moat in the foreground and small of the red brick-like castle in the background.
Moaty McMoatyFace

The castle was a mishmash of red brick (18th century) and large grey stones (13th century). It bore some damage from when it was turned into a prison (19th century). So, a castle that has been adapted as needed.


The 9-euro entry fee included a small booklet which turned me into a tour guide, as I was explaining the use of each room. We began at the Crown Bakery which had more ovens than it had ever needed for the soldiers stationed in the castle. The blackened walls spoke of much use – though none of the fireplaces were lit, the room was a warm, welcome reprieve from the biting cold outside (an admittedly okay 8°C, but alas that wind).


The Cannon Tower wasn’t as insulated, but the small holes in the walls didn’t allow in too much wind. There were many coat racks for large jackets everywhere inside. I loved this place; it was like a giant brick cylinder (holes aside), overlooking the earthworks and protecting the castle on the south side.


We left the Bailey Yard, which had its own wall, and entered the keep. Inside there was a medieval courtyard, but it was filled with a weird wooden hut that some men were building. A bizarre statue was to be found in one of the nearby rooms, seemingly part of the display currently under construction.


Even S had no idea what was going on. Happily, the rest of the first floor was not so strange.


The Well Yard was an enclosed room (it had not started that way) and the small Chapel had windows set into the thick wall. Over one window there were blackened wooden panels, evidence of a past fire. The back wall of the Chapel had been turned into a doorway to create easier access to the neighbouring storeroom (previously entered via the ceiling!). I liked the cosy Great Hall, where people ate, then slept on tables or the floor, as was the custom centuries ago.



The chapel at Hame Castle, looking towards a window. An old bell is in the foreground.
This rings a bell

The second floor yielded more interesting rooms, such as the Scribe’s Chamber (which were accessed by a steep staircase) and the interior latrine opposite it – all intact medieval work so we were not allowed to touch it. The King’s Hall had vaulted ceilings and looked very fancy – apparently it was a typical medieval banquet hall.


In the Hall of Knights, The Husband amused himself with a fake crossbow and the accompanying video game – I suspect it was a Wii or Wii-like device.


We weren’t able to go upstairs, so we walked around outside and looked down on the courtyard. It is unfortunate that in the Russian era (when the castle was converted to a prison) parts of the original building were damaged. There was an outcry from the Finns at the time. I don’t blame them! This kind of thing really gets my goat.


We departed after spending money in the gift shop and attempting to enter a little café hut in the carpark that looked open (people were inside), but the door was locked! When we left the carpark, I accidentally turned onto a footpath and drove along that, frantically looking for the road. Thankfully, the kerb was very low so we managed to escape.


Lunch was had at a service centre, where I nearly reversed into a ditch while parking. But wait, there’s more! I managed to drive onto the wrong side of the road while leaving, but no one was nearby to witness it – or be endangered by my hilariously bad driving.


Wow, I was on a roll. A bad one.


We drove to the hotel, though the GPS insisted on adding 20 minutes to the journey – all while butchering every single local place name, causing S to laugh multiple times.


The place we booked into is rather dated, but it has the distinction of being the only hotel in Nokia. The hotel had spas and water sliders, the kind of place I’d have loved as a kid!


Then it was time to take S home. Her father welcomed us then stayed mostly out of sight, watching television. His English is not as good as S’s and he did not like the idea of speaking through his daughter. Fair call.


Seeing S’s room and house was fun. So different to what I’d pictured! I ran outside with my DSLR and telescopic lens to capture a squirrel. He did not appreciate the audience and scampered away along the squirrel highway in the trees.



A Finnish squirrel sitting in a tree.
Squirrelled away in a tree

S, The Husband and I shared a pot of tea. At last, my sister and I were able to have tea together. Bucket list item crossed off!


We talked for ages, then it was time to go. Drove to the hotel, had some lapses in driving, didn’t stop for a woman on a pedestrian crossing, hit the kerb…maybe I was just tired!


The hotel restaurant had roasted reindeer, so I tried that. Flavour is different from beef, but not gamey. Quite nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment