Sunday, October 10, 2021

Day 7 - Nokia

After a late night (noisy neighbours, quietened only by intervention from reception), we were confronted with a packed breakfast room. Used to sharing this space with 2-4 other souls, we were now fighting almost 100 of them. Queues for juice and all the good food had been sourced by locusts in sports uniforms (and their parents). We escaped to a laundromat in the outskirts of Tampere. Now used to the cold, I only wore on jumper over my shirt.


Woefully unprepared to translate Finnish, we weren’t sure which machine was a dryer and which one wasn’t. We fed 6 euro into a washer only to cancel it and lose our money, panicked that it had started turning because that’s what a dryer does, right? 6 more euros restarted it. Then I discovered that we had free wifi and used that to translate signs, successfully locating the dryers. An elderly couple tried to help us, but they only knew Finnish. Nice people, though. They left when their rugs were washed, presumably to hang them up at home.


I chatted to my brother, Cazy, on my phone and then rang Mum. When I wasn’t conversing, I was reading a book or breaking a 50 euro note at the K-Market downstairs from the laundromat.


Our washing done, we left some euro poorer and discovered that, in our 90-minute absence, our room had already been cleaned! And all the crowds were checking out, including our irritating neighbours. Thank goodness!


We had lunch downstairs (using numbers instead of words to order), then raced off to see S and hopefully spot some squirrels. Alas, not many of those. So we played the Dresden Files game for ages, S and I reminisced about how we met on a Stargate fansite in 2005, and I set up the GoPro to catch squirrels (I don’t know if I caught any!). I was loathe to leave. I really enjoy my time with S. I only managed to drag myself away by deciding to see her tomorrow!



A squirrel looks at the camera with a nut in its mouth.
I did, in fact, capture a squirrel!

Back “home” via Hesberger (lol no way was I going back to Subway).

No comments:

Post a Comment