Friday, October 8, 2021

Day 5 - Nokia

We woke to what we thought was rain, then scoped out the breakfast buffet which was unstaffed – and somewhat underwhelming. When we ventured out (after discovering that the hotel’s laundry service was too expensive) at the appointed time to drive to S’s house, we encountered a wee problem.


It was SNOWING!! And there was snow on the car windshield AHHH!


Well, the snow wasn’t that heavy and melted when it struck most objects (including the ground). The Husband was able to easily wipe it off the windshield – but it was snoooow! So I drove very nervously to S’s house, where she gave me a fortifying cup of black vanilla tea.


Safely warm inside, we looked out at the snow-covered grass, trees and outdoor features. The snow soon turned to slush and the roads grew merely wet instead of slightly icy, so we set out to find Finnish sock wool for my mother-in-law.


S told us that in order to get Finnish wool we had to go to an everyday Target-esque shop, because knitting shops only stock imported material here! While there, The Husband and I bought other supplies (well, mostly chocolate).


Then onto another strip of shops! Not much to see, since Nokia is quite suburban, though I did get some stamps for the Mother’s Day cards I bought for my nannas and my mother. They are in Finnish and luckily S was able to tell me that “mummilla” means “grandmother”! My Mum is certainly not one of those.


Back at S’s place (no driving mishaps! I’m getting better at this European driving thing!), we went for a stroll in the nearby small forest that S says will be demolished to make way for houses. I was sad to hear this.



A Finnish forest - moss-covered rocks in a stream of water, surrounding by trees.
Right out of a storybook

Though it was cold, the ground wet and boggy, some frosting of snow remained and without a clear path, it was the most magical place. No leaves on the branches yet, but that sight pales beside the thought of there being no trees here at all. I felt like I was exploring some sacred grove, trespassing on a nymph’s home. Large chunks of weathered stone lay here, lay there. There was complete silence but for the birds (and the occasional passing car).


And then a group of school children walked past. They must have been in kindergarten – so small! They were excited and rugged up for the cold. One roamed off to the side of the path, nearly getting lost, and the others ran along, saying in Finnish (as translated by S), “We are running! We are running!”


Such happy children. It was lovely to see.


We happened upon a woodpecker afterwards. I thought it was making a loud cack-cack-cacking call, but it was in fact the sound of the bird pecking on a wooden power pole. The Husband was amused that the Finns had not used a metal pole to avoid this problem.



A Finnish woodpecker on a wooden power pole, mostly black with red and white markings.
Woody Woodpecker's dapper cousin

I took a selfie with all three of us inside the frame (fear me, the selfie master!) and we then went in for tea. Once again, tea was had. Now in need of lunch, we drove to Hesburger (a bit like a local Macca’s chain, as S explained, and the reason McDonald’s never gained a foothold in Finland). The cheeseburger would have done the Golden Arches proud, though the chips were lacking the amount of salt I’m used to.


We drove to the nearest shopping centre (had to go via the motorway to reach it!) and browsed. Much the same as back home, but on a smaller scale. Australia has four times the population of Finland.


We dropped S off at her house despite her insistence that it wasn’t a long walk, but I have always preferred to make sure people get home safely.


The Husband and I were happy to return to the hotel. Now I am drinking tea to wash down the Finnish version of a Tunnock’s Teacake (they come in strawberry and mocha flavours!).


Buffet dinner tonight!


God I’ll miss being able to have tea with S. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment