Saturday, October 23, 2021

Days 22 & 23 - LHR-DXB-SYD

I enjoyed dinner at Pret A Manger at Heathrow Airport, then had dessert at the Pilot Bar with The Husband. I topped it off with what the menu simply listed as “tea” – it turned out to be the most boring (and most unsurprising) brew: English Breakfast!



An aqua cup and saucer filled with tea, dusted by milk. A small silver teapot is just visible behind it.
The mysterious "tea"

We eventually boarded and headed for Dubai, where the plane took on fuel while we waited endlessly at Gate A2. A woman approached security while we were there. I took one look at her and thought of that Taylor Swift lyric - “I knew you were trouble when you walked in”. She just had that look to her.


And I was right. Boy. I’m not sure why she felt that antagonising security (in Dubai, no less) was a good idea. I saw her later on the plane and wondered if I knew her from my supermarket days as an irksome customer. She had a sour, scrunched-up face.


Our seats were right at the back of the plane again (we didn’t mind – it was near the toilets and food stations), then looked over to see a very ill-looking man. He’d been vomiting from London and yet had got back on. After half an hour of us waiting endlessly on the tarmac, he and his wife decided to deplane. Their bags followed. Then, finally, we began the 13-hour leg of our journey.


Instead of watching movies and playing sudoku as I had on the first leg (I think the sudoku nearly caused me to fall asleep – a no-no when trying to get back onto Sydney time!), I curled up in my two seats with two pillows and two blankets. The plane was now even emptier than before and people were happily lying down with three or four seats to themselves. The Husband and I shared a four-seater, staying close to each other.


The flight didn’t feel endless. I liked the idea of us chasing tomorrow the whole time, but in winning we forfeited a day in the calendar.


We touched down at 5:33am, which wasn’t too bad considering the delay at Dubai. We filed out into the relatively quiet immigration area and deserted baggage claim. Only one flight had arrived – we were the first in! – so it was not at all stressful for me.


I declared the fox-fur scarf I’d bought in Finland – the customs guy asked me if I’d bought it because I wrote crime novels lol. I write romance, by the way. He then said “oh, one of these!” and since I hadn’t killed the fox, I could be on my way.


I always try to do the right thing! And I always get greeted by eyerolls.


Still, eyerolls are better than a fine.


Taxi home – where we couldn’t locate my brother-in-law at first, but then we saw him sleeping underneath the dining table!?!? Lol!


Anyway, I’m doing the laundry while The Husband naps. He does not possess my ability to sleep on the plane.


I had fun overseas, but I’m glad to be home!

No comments:

Post a Comment